Monday 22 December 2014

Festive Feelings :: 9 :: Culture & Religion


Today I spoke to a girl I work with about what Christmas means to her. And I asked how she celebrates it. She comes from Poland and from there, they have many traditions. For example, Christmas Eve is the time where they celebrate Christ. Christmas Day not so much. They lay straw under the table mat while they eat, in recognition of Jesus Christ in the manger. And when the first star appears, they can open their gifts. Her Christmas includes, making 12 meals, all vegetarian and also setting an extra dinner plate aside. It's a way of showing that everyone shouldn't alone at Christmas and that anyone is welcome into their home. At their meal, they all pass around bread, basically the same bread we have for holy communion. Everyone takes a piece and passes it on to the next person and makes a wish for that person. For example, wishing someone luck for their journey across seas.

These traditions sounded so beautiful to me, and I felt happier knowing more about other cultures out there and the way they celebrate this holiday.

I'm very careful over here in the UK, at work that is, in wishing someone a 'Merry Christmas'. That person may very well not celebrate Christmas. So I should respect that persons beliefs and opinions. My Manager doesn't celebrate Christmas which is funny and probably a little annoying for him in a way, because everyone has to wear their Christmas outfits to work this week, plus there's the whole Christmas album on repeat. And the whole time there's kids crying, wanting pressies. So my manager kinda wants to kick them when he sees them. Doesn't like Christmas or kids. This at this time of year is very amusing to me.

On another note, today someone asked me what I was wanting for Christmas. Simply nothing. I don't like the sentence, 'I want *insert* for Christmas'. People should not want but need, love, happiness and hope at Christmas.

I will celebrate it with the traditions I have grown up with. And yes, even if it seems a little repetitive I'm glad it remains so. It's a laugh at times, but also very sweet.

Please let me know how you celebrate at this time of year. Or what your main holiday is.
I'm very interested in knowing other cultures and religions.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.