Tuesday 23 December 2014

Festive Feelings :: 10 :: Music Bringing Memories at Christmas Time!


Music makes everything even more special at Christmas.
I love how it brings memories of the times when I danced in the lounge area in my old house. Well it wasn't dancing, just spinning in circles to the music and had the heat from the range blaring at me.

I have many favourite tunes, but 'The Fairytale of New York' will always be my favourite. I love the traditional Irish instruments in the song. Even though it has plenty of swear words, it for me shows honesty. No mushy stuff. There are lots of ups and downs at Christmas. Fights about the dinner arrangements.

'Rocking Around The Christmas Tree' brings back memories of my dad cooking in the kitchen. 'Driving Home For Christmas' is the song I have a brief flashback to when I was little, sitting in the car, looking out at the Christmas lights on the streets in Dublin.

Even with the most more newish songs, like Michael Bubles, 'Santa Clause is Coming to Town', his voice is replaced with my friend Edel. I can always hear her singing it, with the twists in the songs melody. Music makes me happier. There's no song that gives me bad memories, which is one of the things that I love about music.

Since I've been alone these past few days, I've been listening to my new album 'Christmas at Downton Abbey'. It's been lovely. My favourite is 'In The Bleak Midwinter' by a wonderful, joyful choir. It reminds me of the time when I sang in an all girl choir recital in a hotel back in Ireland. My Gran, brother, mum and dad were all sitting in the crowd. It has always been a favourite of mine, especially as it was the first time I sang in front of a big crowd.

Are there any songs that mean something special to you? Do you feel that they can provide you with happy memories of Christmas?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.