Saturday 24 May 2014

Sit Down Saturday | A new Series (Eating disorders)


So I've decided to start a new series, 'Sit Down Saturday', inspired by the wonderful A whole lot of chitty chat blogger Anna.

Instead of Sunday I've chosen Saturday, as Sundays I usually sleep-in, go to mass, then off to work.

I will be discussing whatever little topics that comes to my mind, when I'm relaxed sitting down with my tea.

Today's choice of tea: Breakfast tea

Today's Topic: 'Eating disorders'

I don't think I've ever spoken about this subject in any post of mine before. It's getting to summer, which means I will have more free time to do more blogs. None of this college, work craic.

So I myself did have an eating disorder a few years back, I didn't realise at the time. It was only until I started my 5th year in Secondary School that I realised that my clothes were baggier than usual (I wore lots of baggy clothes, trying to hide all the parts I didn't like about my appearance) and I had to buy a new school uniform. I did feel awful by the end of my 4th year, realising I was chubby somewhat and had a very unusual shape. But now, thinking about it, I must have known what I was doing during that summer. To be honest it's a good thing I didn't die from malnutrition. Just after getting my summer holidays from 4th year, for them 4 months, I starved myself and pretty much exercised everyday. I didn't know at the time what I was actually doing to myself. As a child I had to be force fed. I just cringe when I eat. When people say they're starving, this sounds so strange to me. I only ever get really hungry perhaps once every few months. And then I'd only eat 10 mouthfuls and feel content. I need a variety of what I eat, to stay interested in the taste. Otherwise I'll become bored and just give up with eating. That is why I love Chinese food. So much to choose from.

The challenges I still face is eating the 3 meals of the day; breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Funnily enough I forget to eat. If someone takes out a salad, I'll just remember that I haven't ate anything. I was told by a doctor once that my stomach had shrunken quite dangerously and that I really had to increase my diet. My friends in College laugh at me for only being able to eat a half a sandwich. I get a round of applause if I eat the two. (Britain's Got Talent here I come).

I have no problem with exercise really. I enjoy doing it. I'm the type that loves mountain climbing, jogging and swimming. So I'll continue on with that.

I have no idea in how I can improve my diet. I feel that I should buy certain foods and keep to a schedule, but living with other people, you'll find that the food will go missing.

Have any of you happen to have / had an eating disorder?
Did you overcome it? Do you know of anyone that has?

It is so important to have a healthy diet. It really shows in your mood and in your appearance. Now I'm not on about weight wise, I'm talking about your skin. My skin did improve so much from Mauritius with the sun and the amount of fruit I was eating. But it's time now I took this seriously and overcome this issue.

Let me know if you have any advice... I'm all ears :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.