Monday 16 September 2013

First Week of College



Hey hey :) I hope all you readers are well, and to those of you who are new, this is my blog full of stories, my travels, music & other rambling topics. I love all kinds of blogs, so comment below if you think I'd follow :)

Anyway I have been over here for a week, so far in North London, and have started my 1st year course in Nursing. I'm currently trying to decide what University I will be attending to next year (underline, because I'm determined to get it). I'm battling between 2 as my top number one choice: University of Hertfordshire, which is closer to me. And then there's Florence Nightingales School of Nursing & Midwifery, which is an academic school of King's College, London.
King's College would be amazing to get into, but I would be equally as pleased to get into Hertfordshire.
I'll have until only a few weeks to choose, so yes there are worries of whether I'll have be able to afford living in Center London. Living in London would be so expensive.
Anyway I will update you later sometime on my decision (I'll just pretend that your interested in things like that, heehee).

So this week was my first week in College. And it was completely different to my student life in County Galway in Ireland. I didn't feel as though I was being looked at in the College (Paparazzi, you know how it is!), I didn't have to keep my head down while walking through the corridors.
I was in actual fact, late on my first day. Can you believe it. JUST like my first day in Primary School. Buuut, this time it wasn't my fault. I was given the wrong room number, so..... No, it wasn't my fault! I and another girl came in late, apologizing and awkwardly climbing over people to get a seat. Also in my College they scan their cards for their roll call. So modern and new. I feel like I'm a VIP back stage, or old. I mean I even said it to a girl, "Oooh, everything is so modern." Haaaa! Even though I'm one of the youngest, I'm the one who is amazed by technology.
So, in class, there was a lot of tension. Everyone was x-raying the class, trying to see their competition for the year. And so I decided that I was sick of it, and that I was willing to make a right fool of myself. The tutor was saying how there was a pool table in the College, and that if anyone in the class could play. Some of the girls looked as though they had never heard of the word pool before. So I spoke out saying "Sure, when I get stressed out I play some serious pool!". Some girl believed me saying, "Aww, I wish I could play!".... WHO CAN'T PLAY POOL?
My second day then was thankfully more relaxing. I got the chance to sit with some remarkable ladies if I may say so (and I bloody well can, seeing as it is my blog ). Well they were telling me their stories of why they were there. And each of these lovely four ladies are Mommys. I felt even more childish then (with them speaking about their husbands attempting to make dinner the previous night). Me thinking, yeah husband, won't be getting one of them for a while. So I got to know these lovely ladies and the more I knew about them, the more I was amazed. One of which has 5 kids, 5 KIDS! And she has a job of which with taking care of kids, (Ooh the patience!) And what she said to me was that, she's been wanting this for 13 years. She has always wanted to become a midwife. Then there was this woman who volunteers to work with people with disabilities. She's excited each day to see these people, and feels great coming home. She love's her work, and she has what most women want, the support of her husband and children.
It's these sort of women I look up to. Not these celebs in pages of magazines with a few pictures and captions. People think they know everything about them and call them role models... anyway that's another discussion that can be posted for another time.

But I was glad that I was with these mature young women. Not stuck with people getting excited about a night out (which would be every night out!). The women that I met had their own personal stories of why they wanted to become Midwives/Nurses, and I felt as though I could relate with them. I felt excited that I would be meeting these women next week, for the whole year in fact. They were approachable, honest, funny, amazing women.

My day contained many debates in class, meeting the new Tutors, chatting at lunch getting to know the girls over a grande caramel macchiato, one girl taught me how to pronounce it heehee and then we both got 'Starbucks' loyalty cards, cos them guys are gonna have me stuck to them in the College right through the year. I was given 2 assignments by the end of the day, so yeah these Tutors are serious people.

What I want in the future is to get my degree in Nursing, then become a Adult General Nurse. Then I will climb that ladder, to see how high I can possibly go with this career. I could become a Nurse Consultant, or a scrub nurse... who knows? Or work with people going through Cancer. My grand-mother is the reason on why I want to do this profession, to comfort people. I feel as though I contained myself very well, that I remained strong for her when she was ill. And if I could be there for her, well then I could be there for other families & patients that are going through the exact ordeals that my Granny and family went through.

And the thing about being a Nurse, is that it isn't really all about grades. Books can't teach you how to break the news to a family that their loved one has died. I see it as a privilege being with someone crossing over after death, it is as equal privilege as giving life. There is fear, yes, but for me I believe that there is a place we will all go to after life.
Even a Tutor can't teach you on how to find dignity in giving someone a bed bath. It's all about being able to love and respect people when they are at their weakest moments.
Being a Nurse, you will see life begin and end, you will experience failures and triumphs. You will cry, laugh and you will know what it is to be human.
I'm ready for the challenge, so bring it on!

What was your first day at College like? Have you found a career in which you are passionate about? If so I would love to hear about it. I'm a true blog luvin' reader ;)

Lots of  Luv,





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.