Wednesday 11 September 2013

Keeping a Lively Faith


Hey there Peeps and Creeps (not really sure who's reading this...) Anyway whoever you are I hope you're well and happy :)

I wanted to put up this post a long time ago, but I was busy moving over to London and spending my last few days with friends and family.

This post is based around how I keep a lively faith. Not many young people show their faith in God and some don't even believe, and I respect their opinions. I just wanted to let you readers see what kind of person I am. And what you should know is that my faith has molded me into the person I am to this day.

I believed in God from a very young age. It was due to my Grand-mother. Saying the rosary every evening and attending mass and choir practice were all ways how I kept up a lively faith.
I'm a person who believes that to be a good Catholic is to help others out, whether by helping the Community by visiting the elderly or taking part in Church, or even taking care of your family. I don't think that you have to go to mass to show your appreciation to God or your loved ones in Heaven, but I go every week because simply, I enjoy it. I love the music, the quietness, the sense if unity. I love seeing everyone still and peaceful, it is so very different than the busy lives we see out there in the world.

When my Grandfather was dying, when I was 8 years old, I prayed the whole night long. And the next morning I was told that he had passed away. I felt as though I was bad luck, or being punished by God for some reason. I just couldn't understand. Surprisingly enough that didn't destroy my faith. I didn't cry at his funeral because I believed I would see him again. I was probably seen as cold, but my faith was the reason I showed strength.
Now I can say my faith has remained strong, even with my most favorite person in the world, my Grandmother, having passed away last February. That's the way life is. And sometimes I feel that with moving on I will forget these wonderful people. But moving forward is the only way to be happy and the only way to enjoy life. It is my mission to not dwell on the past anymore but to live in the present.

So back a few weeks ago I was asked to take part in a Catholic Youth Conference. Members from an organisation called "The Legion of Mary" were there, and I found out that my Grandmother was an actual member. She took part in hospices and charities. It really did make me tear up and I knew that she would have been delighted to have known that I was there taking part.
The organisation was founded by a man called, Frank Duff. He along with members of the legion opened two hostels, "The Morning Star" for the men, and "The Regina Coeli" for women. Both hostels keep up homeless people, even single mothers with children. To this day, both have remained open, since 1927. The women and men that work in these hostels, some are just volunteers and what makes it so amazing is that they do it out of the goodness of their hearts.


This was the College of All Hallows, a College of DCU, where I had been staying for the event. The buildings surrounding were very beautiful, but I was most amazed with their Chapel. The organ itself was just jaw-dropping beautiful. I tried imagining it in my house but... "Nah, it might be a little big for the dining room!"





Whenever my time table was free I would sit in the chapel with a few others I had met, and we would just sit in the chapel listening to the choirs practicing. I brought along my diary, where I scribbled along listening to the music.


These pictures were of Frank Duffs house and all of his possessions. He is in actual fact a saint in some countries in Africa, because of all the help he's done out there. He loved reading and learning new languages. And in every room in his house there were at least 2 bookcases... he read A LOT! He was a man who thought that caring for others out there in need, was the Catholic way.







Pictures Credited by myself Michaela Maria.

After this experience I felt as though I could do more out there. I have been partaking in my own Community and Parish but there is more work to be done out there. What I plan on doing in London is finding a single charity that I can work hard with. I don't want to be flustered with work and over-doing it. I want to put all my attention on specific goals and then with time and effort will hopefully succeed in them.
This is my way of keeping a lively faith. With taking part in organisations and in the choir, any way of helping out.

As you can tell, religion and caring for others is really important in my life. And I think that with me taking on the course of Nursing is perfect. I enjoy talking to people, young and old. So please God you'll see me qualify in a few more years and that I'll be happy with my choices. I'll make sure to keep you updated.

Love you all lots & lots, like Chocolate M&Ms, cos they're me favey :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.