Sunday 30 March 2014

Canterbury | Roaming the city & a Uni interview

 Greetings bloggers from far and wide.

I myself got to travel to Canterbury last Friday. First time visiting Kent and it was a beautiful experience.

So at 5am I had to get ready to take a bus and two trains for Canterbury. Why all this effort you ask? Well I had a scary day ahead with tests and interviews. But thankfully I made it out alive. I met quite a good few people from Ireland and it was lovely talking about home and the weather (sounding more and more like my parents.)
I was interviewed by a version of an even smaller me... AND-I-AM-SMALL! And then by another lady who was dressed in her uniform, resembling Miranda Hart from 'Call the Midwife.'
I got the chance to get a tour of the campus. Their students union was in a complete different building, as well as their library, which was ginormous by the way.

We were so lucky to have a beautiful day for seeing Canterbury. It was very nerve wrecking though, that we were told 'after' the tour whether we got the interviews or not. It was as though they were teasing to those who didn't pass, "This is where you could have lived."
I said this to the interviewers and thankfully they giggled, otherwise --- *awkward*. Let's hope I got bonus points for making them laugh.

Interviews are such a stressful time. Why is it that some interviewers make it so difficult on the student. Some make you feel so anxious with even answering a simple question like what is the most challenging thing you've ever done? The student has to be honest, there's no other way around it.
These interviewers explained how they just wanted a chit chat and they did! Gratefully, I was been asked questions by the Miranda Hart twin. So at times I did feel as though I was talking to a celeb... Haaa!

Walking up the cute little lanes to the University was a lovely start to the day. I would walk by a dainty shop and remind myself that I would call in there later on.
When entering one side of the city I had to walk under this castle. Not how I usually walk into cities, but hey, I felt pretty royal... "Make way for Michaela, hopeful future Nursing student of Canterbury."

I only snapped a few photos because I felt as though I was the only tourist there. Like I took a picture of a stream and some guy from outside the pub probably thought "poor girl has never seen a stream before" or "she's had enough of the booze".
I just loved how both the old and new were joined together in this welcoming, homely city. It's as though they have every shop I love and have squeezed it in.







The door of this place just reminded me of Bilbo Baggins' house (Lord of the Rings reference... yes, I am a fan)




The 'Food & Craft Market' was just a place I didn't want to leave.
I loved how the centre it was in was so modern looking as well.
In this little shop, that contained food, jewelry, clothes, everything handmade, I bought a few little purchases for some friends.

Even though I didn't take any shots, I did make my way into 'Lush'. I bought my Mum a little something, just to make her smile in a surprised postage delivery to Ireland.



I love taking my camera around with me to new places I visit. I just love travelling. Come next week I will be taking gazillions of pictures of my time spent in Mauritius. My passport has arrived so I'm happy.

I can picture myself living here. It is situated pretty much around a lot of the countryside and me coming from Ireland well... it fits. The city itself reminded me of two towns we have back home, Galway and Westport. Brighton would be perhaps the closest I would compare it to, that most of you would get a general picture of.

If any of you have been to Canterbury and have come across any must-go-to shops please inform me in the comments. I will hopefully spend a day down there in the summer. It has sooooo many cafes and me sitting out there with a latte and wheel-barrow of shopping bags, well that image sounds perfect to me.

Also if any of you have been anywhere that's easy distance from London that's worth seeing, put that in the comments as well. I love discovering and experiencing new places.

Thank you so much guys for reading this post,
Lots of crazy giggly-lovin',


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.