Wednesday 16 December 2015

Blogmas - Day 14 - My List of 'Things To Do This Christmas'


Source: WeHeartIt

As the years go on the list does indeed get smaller and smaller in ways of the list not subjecting around materialistic things but better quality things such as spending time with family.

But each item on our list, we treasure it dearly.

- Getting my hair done with Mum, for the holidays and for her Anniversary meal with Dad. Since my brother and I are both now away from home, mum and dad wanted for us to spend the time together.

- Decorate my room. Even though my room is filled will fairy lights and tea candles I'm going ro attempt if I can fit any more. Finally I will be sticking up my glow in the dark stars that my cousin so kindly gave to me.

- Go to my Mums Christmas Carol Service in Church. It'll be nice to listen for a change and not take part. I do enjoying listening to music without singing along. I prefer other peoples voices to my own.

- Walks in the night. Only if it's a starry night. I just miss going for walks in the dark, where all you have is the moonlight to guide you. Night time walks are very special to me. I've been doing it, walking the same route, the block is what we call it where I live, ever since I was 9. I used to go with my aunt, sometimes the two if the other were home from England, and we'd chat while walking. Coming back home, Grannys house, we would come in absolutely freezing running for our cups of tea and sitting next to Gran, either ready to say the rosary or watch the news.

- I may be 22 but on my list is laying in bed with mum watching Coronation Street. I may be too old for cuddles, but I will always be her daughter and she my mother/ big sister heehee. Love is unconditional so when people sneer and think that 'you should act your age' I think it's quite silly really. As a baby I'd only ever want to go into bed with mum cos she was always so warm.... using her as a hot water bottle people haha. Nah but I always prefer to sleep next to someone knowing that I'm not alone. Having no boyfriend really can be the saddest of times.... *sigh*

- Watching movies with the family. I usually take my seat on the rug with my hot chocolate next to fire, like a cat. I always like hearing Dad telling me facts about the movie. Mum just smiles, having no idea what's going on, or in any case what movie is being played. We do spend a lot of time together in our family. Alone time over here is a necessity but when I'm with my family not so much. Growing up with Gran I never had alone time, she was always there. But I still did the things I wanted with her being there, was very much in my comfort zone.

- Dressing up. In England, I surprisingly don't get dressed up as much I used to when I was back living in London. Being here I'm always wearing a uniform. And the nursing uniform is the most uncomfortable, unflattering thing in the world! It's like wearing cardboard!
In Ireland, I'm always on the road. So it's nice to get dressed and feel like a girl for a change. Instead of being someone invisible in a uniform or a tracksuit and hoodie.

- Staying in bed all day. Today I woke up naturally at 1pm. No more stress you see from Uni, so I really did catch up on my sleep. And the bed I have here has my back in such bad aches. The bed I have back in Ireland may not be the comfiest but it's a lot better for my already messed up back.

- Wearing cuddly, cosy jumpers. I love them! The more old fashioned and quirky they are, the better.

- Going to my friends 21st. Even though we'll only be separated 10 days we'll still have to see each other. It'll be nice to meet her sister and family properly. We're all acquainted on Facebook and Skype calls but it'll be nice waking up in the house and seeing how my friends life usually is in Ireland.

- Playing my music as loud as I want in my house. My friends over here already know I'm odd. They say that because I have different, weird tastes in music and movies and yes my favourite food is just plain food. After all I was brought up with a Granny who would feed me a half plate of burnt whatever and I LOVED IT!! If you grow up with it, you'll love it. So as soon as I get home, the following morning, I'll be banging on the piano keys and singing alone with Puccini and Jennifer Hudson. Hey, they're too darn loud for singing along to with the neighbours... and plus the house-mates really don't stay away. They just walk in and expect a show of some sorts.

- Watch Downton Abbey Season 6 with my brother. Unlike me and my Dad who watch it every week, my brother waits to watch it all with me, all before the Christmas Special. So I will not be forgetting to bring over the DVD. Trés important!

- Take a piece of straw from the crib at church. We always do this in my family. Gran would always feel as though little baby Jesus would be welcomed in our house. So this year I'll take it to her grave and lay it beside her.

- Visit my grand-parents and great-grand-parents graves. I usually prefer to do it alone so I can chat to them. More so with Granny. I tell her what's been going on with my life in Canterbury. Who I've met, what I think of them. What my worries are, what I'm excited about for the future. Of course there's tears but I feel better thinking even though she's not in my life realistically any more, she can still be with me on my journey. I'll tell her about my first relationship, about the hardest losses I've faced with being a nurse, my first kid, my first house. You always feel as though the loved ones in your life will be there for your life changing events. 

- Make butternut squash soup. I've just been craving it for a long time now. And it s after all my favourite soup. Pumpkin is tasty with it as well and carrot, but I'll stick to having it plain with some lovely soda bread.

- Re-watch some of my favourite boxsets. My friend said that I am the only person she knows who collects boxsets of different genres, with tv shows and movies. If it is only a show that I love then I'll buy the collection. I just fall in love with the characters, wanting to be them, wanting to be in the directors mind, the costume designers minds, the composers minds. I do get disappointed sometimes thinking that my life will never live up to a movie. That it'll be predictable. My reasons for loving fantasy and sci-fy is simply because I believe in that little bit of magic.

- Shopping with mum in the winter sales. If I am wanting a new coat and if it is perfect that's my day made. That and sitting in a café with mum while people watching. Trying to suss out what peoples lives are like and admiring peoples outfits. Hey we're nosy but it's fun!

- Spend some catch up time with friends. See a movie, eat something maybe and chat, chat, chat.

- Watch the new Star Wars and Daddys Home movie with my brother and dad. I really need a laugh this Christmas and Will Farrell never fails!

Just think that tomorrow is my last day here in Kent... Hey I love it, but eating, living and walking with the same people can be exhausting. My flight is at like 9pm on Thursday and me and my Irish lassies are heading to the airport like 6 hours early. Firstly, because of the security over here, don't want delays or stress. Secondly, we're going to shop around in the airport and have some food and drinks. And lastly, we're just too freaking excited!!

Thanks for reading my little elves x





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.