Thursday 3 December 2015

Blogmas - Day 2 - Why family is important at Christmas Time

Source: We Heart It

I do wonder what it must feel like to have no family or no one else in the world to care for you during Christmas... I wouldn't want to say "I know how you feel!" because I don't. I feel loneliness at times but then again nearly everyone does.

My mum has always told me that I should take at least one moment of everyday to thank god/ the universe or reflect on everything I have in my life and to be grateful for it. So I do. Usually when it's the happiest point of my day.

When I was younger, probably around six, I was watching the news with my mum, Granny and Granddad and I remember finding out in that moment what death really meant. And during that time I thought it only happened to you as you got older. So I cried by myself by the back door of the house sitting on the floor with the dog beside me. My Mum knelt down next to me and told me that Granny and Granddad wouldn't die... of course it's something you'd say to a child but from then on I made sure to never take them for granted. Christmas is the time to have time to think and to make sure you show your family and friends that you do love them. Then as I got older I saw how anyone could die and not just from old age.

Gifts of course I do love them but to be honest I've never been excited for them (apart from 3 gifts I've ever ever received in my life... to be continued on another post) ... sounding a little selfish.... but I get excited for buying the gifts for people where I know they love to get them. It's tricky in my family as we don't really care about getting them. We're pretty much happy with the goodies, music, movies and dressing up. All the same we still put smiles on our faces to express how thankful we are.

Christmas time is really about making sure someone doesn't feel alone in this world. That they are cared for and that they matter. My parents have invited so many people into our home over all of the Christmases I can remember. A cousin that we had barely known, his mother and father had passed away in the same year and he didn't feel welcomed in his siblings houses for the holiday celebrations, so my parents invited him to spend it with us. Another year my aunt came from the Caribbean and stayed with us for a few months as she tried to sort out her life. Even dads friend was welcomed into our home when he had just separated from his wife and wasn't allowed to see his children.

It's the family that shows us what Christmas really means. And mine really has worn their hearts on their sleeves and has opened our home to anyone who is going through a rough patch. It's all I know about Christmas. And if I didn't have a family I really don't know what I would do at this time of year.
So be thankful and full of praise towards your family. Thank the universe for that goodness you have yet in your lives. Even with every disastrous that is happening in the world today, it really does show you how your life can change in the most unexpected times. Think about that and just take this moment to know what you have right before you!! Christmas lights, decorations, music and gifts will never go away, they will always be around at Christmas in many years to come but family may not.

Love them and share that love to others who need it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.