Thursday 21 August 2014

Thankful Thursday | Family & Food


This week was pretty fun, even though there were days when I felt blue, but gladly enough I had my family and pleasurable leisure's to keep my mind occupied. It did feel slow though, this week. A lot happened and it was all pretty random.


Last Friday evening, I had a lovely meal with my parents. Dad had his usual burger and Mum went for the pasta. My parents pay attention to each other rather than to their kids, but hey I'm happy that they're happy. At least I get free food out of them from time to time.


Afterwards, we drove to Knock Airport which is perhaps the tiniest airport you could possibly see. It's on a huge hill and is positioned in the middle of no where. The best thing about it is not having the fuss to go through all the security. It doesn't take very long.

We picked up my grandfather who came over for a weekend visit, just to collect some belongings and to see the family. Of course we stopped off on the way home to get him a pint of Guinness. It was nice to see how excited and relaxed he was with his drink. Looking forward to meeting people that he hadn't seen since six years ago. It always feels good after being away from home for so long, to return to a place that appears the same yet so different. I knew how he felt in a way, coming back and feeling pretty damn emotional.

I enjoyed spending the weekend with him and my Dad. We snuck into our relatives homes, and surprised them with great joy. No one knew he was coming over you see, all part of the fun. And as well as joy there was also a little sadness. A cousin of ours in the family has cancer and seeing the change in them has brought back memories of my gran. It must have been hard though I thought at the time, for my grandad to see them. Who knows when he'll visit next. Could be five years, could be ten? You make the most of it. The time you spend with your loved ones.
And there they were, my grandad, dad and their cousins drinking pints in the pub, getting reacquainted after so many years gone by, and there I was running after the kids, trying to keep them entertained (and distracted).


On Monday, I stayed the night in Dublin. Got around to seeing Malahide at last. Mum has been ranting on and on how one day she'll be living there. Supposedly because the celebs of Ireland (if there are any) are living there.

The town itself was cute with its many boutiques, its own Starbucks (have been away from it for too long) and lovely restaurants. We had two lovely meals there, Monday and Tuesday, because it seems the burgers in 'Scotch Bonnet' were too amazing to just have the one time.

Mum was very cheeky to have bought herself a Jo Malone candle. Was I jealous? YES!! But alas, do not worry, I myself will buy one in time. I already have my eyes on one particular. My Mum favoured the English Pear and Freesia scent, which I have to agree is a wonderful, fresh smell.



Are there any great spots for food in Dublin that you know of? Do let me know, I'm all ears. And to those of you that may enjoy Jo Malone, or as my brother mistakenly called it, Johnny Maloney, let me know of any favourite scents of yours that deserve to be put by my bedside.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.